MWO is mandated to perform the following functions:
- Ensure the protection of the rights and promote the welfare and interests of overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) and assist them in all problems arising out of employer-employee relationship;
- Coordinate the DOLE’s employment promotion mandate;
- Verify employment contracts and other employment-related documents;
- Monitor and report to the Secretary of Labor and Employment on situations and policy developments in the receiving country that may affect OFWs in particular, and Philippine labor policies, in general;
- Supervise and coordinate the operations of the Migrant Workers and Other Overseas Filipinos Resource Center (MWOFRC); and
- Perform other functions and responsibilities as may be assigned by the Secretary of Labor and Employment.